Your Social Security Benefits

Auditing Your Social Security Statement

Your Social Security Statement provides you with a list of your Social Security earnings each year through your previous year's wages. It will tell you the current estimate (in today's dollars) of your retirement benefit at the age you requested, as well as the benefit at full retirement age and at age 70. It also tells you the projected amount of disability benefits and survivor benefits your family may receive.

  1. As a general rule, the Social Security Administration can correct errors only up to 3 years, 3 months, and 15 days after they occur.
  2. If eligible for Social Security, audit your personal Social Security record carefully.
  3. A Social Security Statement is mailed annually to all individuals age 25 and older. If you have not received this statement, call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 and ask for Form SSA-7004 (Request for Social Security Statement). It can also be requested via the Internet at

Review your record of earnings carefully. If they do not agree with your own records, contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213. You will need past W-2 forms, pay stubs, tax returns, or any other proof of your earnings.

Share Article:
Add to GooglePlus
Investment and insurance products and services are offered through INFINEX INVESTMENTS, INC., Member FINRA / SIPC . Wauchula State Financial Services is a trade name of the bank. Infinex is not affiliated with either entity. Products and services made available through Infinex are not insured by the FDIC or any other agency of the United States and are not deposits of or obligations of nor guaranteed or insured by any bank or bank affiliate. These products are subject to investment risk, including the possible loss of value.